I know that frantic feelings to find a way to make money online in Nigeria. Nigeria is a country where you need multiple sources of income to survive, and some extra or a very good job if you want to live a comfortable life.
You might be looking for how to make money online because your 9-5 doesn’t pay your bills or you have an emergency and need extra funds to settle. You might even be at a stage in your life where you need a new break, probably so sick of your job all you think about is quitting.
I understand how you feel and what you are going through. One of the reasons I chose to write this article is because I have experienced the same emotions you are experiencing and I want to give you a blueprint that would make your life a lot better and put more money in your pockets.
Firstly, let’s address the most common questions people ask in these kinds of situations.
How can a beginner or newbie make money online?
Everybody has to start from somewhere. Even the Pro’s that you look up to started from somewhere even though most of them don’t talk about their days of little beginnings and mistakes. However, the honest truth is that the more you do something you are committed to the more you get better at it and become a master.
As a beginner, you can start making money online today. The first thing is to make up your mind that you want to make money then you can work through the other processes outlined.
- You have to start with something you are a natural at, something you have some basic skill about and enjoy doing. It can be as basic as loving to teach people and talking about something you know. You can also start by writing a list of these skills.
- Next arrange your list in order of priority and highlight the top two skills you can pursue immediately.
- Continue reading and you will see how to develop the idea and start making money. Yes, it’s that easy. Just take one step at a time and before you know you are at the finish line.
How can a student make money online
I believe it is easier for students to make money online because you have some free tools and resources you can take advantage of. Some schools have good power conditions and probably internet connections.
- You can learn the skills needed to make money online because you are already in a learning institution and you can easily network and meet people who can teach you and also need your services.
- Take note and observe what your fellow students are always complaining about and write a list of them. Pick out the ones you have skills to solve and just like that you can start making money.
- With a properly managed schedule, you can also extend point two to solve problems that small business owners around your school have. The goal is to match your skills with the problems people are having around you.
How to make money online while keeping your 9-5 job
This requires great dedication, you have to be willing to put in extra hours everyday to push your online business while keeping your day job.
- You can find complementary skills you have at work that you can use in creating a business. However, if your personal business area is different from your 9-5 job that is not a problem. You just need a great skill balancing your time and energy.
- Set up systems that require minimal efforts from you to manage. Work in the day and fulfil your personal business orders at night. Smiles.
How to make money online without spending a dime
When people think of a business the first thing they think about is where do I get the money to start this business. And I agree with you that one does need money to pull off certain businesses. Although, that’s not always the case. With some ingenuity especially for skill or service-based type businesses you can start the businesses by spending a dime – all you need to do is convert your time to cash.
How can I earn money online daily?
Businesses have different models, some online and offline businesses give daily income while others give income weekly or monthly. To earn daily, you would have to choose the business or ways to make money that bring daily revenue.
As I talk about the different ways to make money online in Nigeria, I would point out the ones that generate daily income so that you can make your choice of business from the list. Alright, let’s dive right in and see the different ways we can make extra income while in Nigeria.
Here are the top 22 ways to make money online in Nigeria
We have segmented the ways to make money online under different categories to make it easy for comparison and provide the best advice in each case.
Becoming a content creator
Creating quality written content that gives readers information about topics and subject areas they like to learn about is the basics of blogging. So the million-dollar question is are you a good content writer? Can you write articles that people would like and enjoy reading?
How to start your blog
- Identify the topic or subject niche you would like to write about e.g, finance, nursing mothers, pregnant dads e.t.c
- Brainstorm keyword ideas around the niche you have chosen
- Do a keyword research and write out the articles
- Get a domain name and setup a blog on Blogger, WordPress or other content management system
- Post your articles on your blog
- Connect Google Search Console and Analytics and apply for Google Adsense
- Start making money online
How to make money from a blog
- Google AdSense: from ads impressions and when readers click on advertisement links
- When users click on affiliate links to purchase items.
- When you make sponsored posts for businesses
- When you place direct advertisement for small businesses
- You can also make money when you use the SEO to sell your own products
The more money you make depends on the number of people viewing/reading your blog.
Vlogging (short skits, educational videos, informational videos)
This is similar to blogging but in this case you are creating video contents for your audience and the process is quite similar but you need a different platform to host your videos. The platforms you use would be as a result of convenience and ease of monetizing your contents. You can use Instagram or Youtube to share your videos.
Both platforms have their technicalities but the simplest explanation is that you use Instagram to build influence so that businesses can pay you to make video posts and advertisements for them. This is called a brand influencer.
On YouTube, you post videos in the hope to place Google advertisements primarily or work exclusively with brands who also pay you.
How to start your Vlog
- Identify the topic or subject niche you would like to write about e.g., unboxing phone reviews, How to develop X skill etc.
- Brainstorm keyword ideas around the niche you have chosen
- Do a research and write out video scripts
- Use a good camera and some lightning to shoot your videos
- Use video editing software to edit your videos
- Post your videos on your favourite platform.
Selling stock photos
Making money online is not as difficult as it looks, but it does require consistency in following a particular niche or path until you achieve the results needed. You can sell unique photos and images as stock images through third party websites that were established solely for these purposes.
How to start stock photo selling
- Get image ideas by looking at the most download images to get a sense of the type of images that people are downloading and making use of
- Use a camera with good resolution to take unique images in your surrounding or studio modelled images depicting scenes people would like to use.
- Edit images using image editing software of choice where necessary
- Sign up on third party stock microstock website like iStockPhoto, Dreamstime, Shutterstock, 123RF, or Getty Images via Flickr and upload images
Selling physical goods online
Selling on Jumia
Jumia is one of the largest online marketplace for buying various items from household items to office goods. They stock a wide category of products and this makes for a very good opportunity for people looking to make money online in Nigeria.
This is very useful for people who already have a physical store but are looking for ways to increase their sales through online sales.
How to sell on Jumia
- Register on the Jumia seller centre platform, this takes less than 5 mins to complete.
- Complete a seller onboarding training and activate your store to start managing products and inventories.
- List the products you want to sell
- Benefit from Jumia’s promotion and marketing and enjoy your sales.
You can also have your own promotions if you want to increase your sales rate. The good thing is that Jumia already has the infrastructure to manage delivery, returns and everything in between. Read the complete guide on selling on Jumia
Selling on Konga
Selling on Konga is similar to selling on Jumia. Konga is also one of the largest online marketplace with a large category.
How to sell on Konga
- Register on the Konga marketplace
- List your products and set your prices and start selling
- Konga also help store owners with promotion and marketing
Selling digital goods online
Selling books online
You can make money online without a dime by selling books online. With just your computer you can write an ebook about any subject or about your personal experience or a job skill you learnt that would benefit other people. The fact is within a few days you can start making money.
Design your book cover for free on Canva and the good thing is you can publish your book on Amazon or other local platforms and start earning.
Platforms to sell your book online.
Selling online courses
A lot of people are relying on online platforms to learn anything that catches their fancy. You should tap into this to create a course around subjects you are knowledgeable about. The opportunities are endless because there are platforms that have done and do all the work for you. All you have to do is create your online course and upload. They would assist you in showing you work to their users and those that resonate with you will buy your course. This is a very good means of generating passive income and making money online without having anything.
Platforms to sell your course.
Selling podcast or music through streaming platforms
Creating a podcast is a way to build your authority as an expert in a particular subject. The idea is that the more you talk about something the more you gain expertise through research and people begin to see you as an authority in that field.
If you host your podcast on a streaming platform you can generate a sizable passive revenue from your content or you can pitch to business brands to sponsor episodes on your podcast.
Platforms to stream your podcast.
Offering freelance services
The COVID-19 pandemic has totally changed how we work. This is redefining our approach to work and is giving birth to the gig economy. The gig economy is an economy that belongs to freelancers. You can work and live anywhere in the world and work for any business in the world. Endless possibilities everywhere. Having sought after skills in this economy is gold. We would highlight a few skills that can enable you to make money online without having a dime.
Graphics and creative design
With just your laptop and a few design softwares, you can create graphics design freelancing businesses that serve other small businesses with varying categories of services. You can work on UI/UX design projects, social media graphics, business branding. I mean the combinations of services you can render are truly endless.
About 39% of small businesses do not have a website. This means that web design services are still in vogue. Even the businesses that have websites are not fully optimized for selling online. This gap is an opportunity for those with web design skills to work with businesses to optimize their websites user experience and transform those users into paying customers.
If you don’t have this skill you can easily pick it up by learning how to build websites with WordPress.
There are people in different fields who want to write a book but do not have the time to sit down and start writing one. If you have the skill of writing you should consider rendering your services to this segment of people.
Businesses are also looking for copywriters to help them with their product copy. Copywriting gives you the flexibility to work for who you want to at the time you want to from the comfort of your home or whatever workspace you decide.
Businesses want to increase their sales but most of them do not know how to implement digital marketing strategies to grow their business. With your digital marketing skill you can pitch to businesses around you or businesses on the web to work with them to drive sales through digital marketing and they pay for your services.
You can choose to work with multiple businesses at a time or few larger businesses. It all depends on what you want and can handle.
A virtual assistant (VA) is a person that remotely provides support for small businesses. You can charge small businesses a fee for your services and work on various tasks assigned.
The tasks that small businesses assign to VA’s usually differ from business to business based on their unique needs at the time.
Social Media Management
Help small businesses manage their social media pages by creating content for them or posting and engaging their customers.
Website where you can offer freelance services.
How to make money online without a dime through commision based affiliate marketing
According to Smartblogger, Affiliate marketing is the practice of promoting the products or services of another person or company in exchange for a commission on the resulting sale. Affiliate marketers join affiliate programs, find reputable affiliate products to promote, and then share those products with their audiences.
There are different ways you can earn from affiliate marketing and we would walk you through a few.
Affiliate marketing through affiliate networks
Affiliate networks are middlemen that offer various affiliate programs on behalf of businesses. Some of the popular affiliate networks are:
Real estate consultants
Most real estate companies have affiliate programs where you help them promote their offerings and they pay you commissions.
Konga affiliates is a free program to join and promote products on the Konga ecommerce platform. You do not need anything to become an affiliate. They pay up to your account with up to 9% of the purchase value from promoting your affiliate link. An affiliate link is a special URL where you should be sending the visitors. You will get the URL’s for different banners in your affiliate panel after log in.
Affiliates are paid upon confirmed purchase and delivery of item(s) by visitor(s) on Konga.com. Our payment date is on the Friday of the second week of the next month. Payment is made through Bank/Wire Transfer.
They also offer training on the basics of affiliate marketing and most useful tips are described in your affiliate panel.
With a minimum of 5000 followers you can become a micro influencer in their affiliate program. They have other categories which are the mega influencer and affiliate. Affiliates get immediate approval to start sharing contents with their links while the other categories have to wait for a week to get approvals
You get compensated for any sales made through your affiliate link.
Ambassadors for exchanges and token projects
New token projects often look for ambassadors to help with the promotion of their token.Some of them put out formal job offers to call for application but for others you have to send a pitch of what you can offer the project to team admins.
Most cryptocurrency projects pay ambassadors with tokens which they can sell when the project goes live for cash.
All crypto-related projects have community platforms on telegram, Twitter and Instagram with hundreds of thousands of followers or subscribers. It is usually difficult for the project team to attend to every question on this platform.
This creates an opportunity for community managers to help the core team to manage the platform and answer basic questions while calling the attention of the team to more technical questions. Managing a cryptocurrency project community is one of the ways to make money online without having a dime.
According to Binance, Spot trading involves directly purchasing or selling financial instruments and assets such as cryptocurrencies, forex, stocks, or bonds. Delivery of the asset is often immediate. Spot trading occurs in spot markets, which are either exchange-based or over-the-counter (directly between traders).
You can make money online daily by spot trading
Crypto futures trading is unique from spot trading in many ways. Firstly, crypto futures trades don’t require you to directly purchase or sell or hold any crypto asset(s) to participate. Instead, traders look to buy or sell a futures contract representing a cryptocurrency’s value at a specific date in the future.
Crypto futures allow investors to speculate on the future value of a cryptocurrency. For instance, participants can either go long, wagering on a price advance, or go short if they anticipate a drop.
Website where you can find cryptocurrency jobs.
Website where you can trade cryptocurrency
To make money online, you need to pick specific areas and develop yourself in those areas. This would give you the knowledge base you need to charge high fees and make money working from home or wherever you choose.
As you go through the list we hope you have written down the ways of making money online that align with your skills. We wish you all the best of luck.
Image Credits: All images on this website are sources from Getty Images, Pexels and Unsplash.