The sole aim of going into business is to make a profit. These days, everybody is looking for ways to make more money or multiply their income streams. What better way to do it than to go into business? Turkey is one of the most business-friendly countries in the world. Turkey has the 19th biggest economy in the world by nominal GDP and the 6th largest in Europe. The economy of Turkey has experienced growth in GDP over the past few years, making it a good option for investors seeking to do business. This article will enlighten you on 30 profitable business ideas in Turkey. If you are in Turkey or planning to migrate to Turkey, you can start any profitable ideas that match your passion and interest.
What We Covered In This Article
There are limitless business ideas to dive into in Turkey, but I have highlighted 30 profitable business ideas in Turkey under various niches. Find the niche that best resonates with you and start making your money or, should I say, your Lira (Turkish currency).
Turkey is a country that ranks 6th highest in tourism. These statistics point to the fact that many tourists are visiting Turkey every year. When people go to new places, the first thing in their mind is to find a comfortable place to lay their heads, and this is where you come in.
Boutique hotels provide specialized attention to guests so that the attention and care that bigger hotels won’t be able to give guests can be gotten in boutique hotels. Modern tourists most times seek after luxury; they are always looking forward to personalized experiences that are more intimate and stylish.
They are usually willing to pay more in a boutique hotel than they would have paid in a big fancy hotel to get special treatment and services. Here are some key characteristics of boutique hotels;
- Size: Boutique hotels are normally smaller than the usual fancy hotels. This attribute gives room for attention to detail and creates a more intimate experience.
- Design: The designs of boutique hotels are always distinctive, such that they reflect the local culture or history of the people.
- Personalized experiences: In boutique hotels, staff do everything in their power to meet guests’ needs and ensure they have a very personalized experience.
- Location: Boutique hotels are often located in strategic areas to make the guests feel closest to the local culture of the natives. The hotels are located in historic neighbourhoods, scenic locations and cultural districts.
Turkey is a country that has a very rich historical background and diverse cultural heritage. It is not a shocker that they are the 6th highest tourist centre in the world.
Since Turkey has an influx of tourists seeking to satisfy and authenticate their travel experiences, organizing cultural tours and experiences is a profitable business idea in Turkey.
By providing cultural tours and experiences to tourists, you not only take them sightseeing but also provide them with a deep understanding of the history, cuisine, heritage, way of life and art.
Here are some attractive tourist sites in Turkey;
- Hagia Sophia (Ayasofya): This Iconic historical site is located in Istanbul and was built as a Cathedral in the 6th century and is now a mosque.
- Cappadocia: Cappadocia is a breathtaking region in central Turkey noted for its beautiful rock formations, underground cities and fairy chimneys.
- Mount Ararat: This is the highest peak in Turkey and is often believed to be the final resting place of Noah’s ark.
An Eco-friendly resort is a lodging that seeks to provide accommodation and cater to the needs of its guests in the best way possible whilst minimizing the impact of their activities on the environment. These establishments provide services to their guests using technologies that prioritize environmental conservation, energy-saving, waste reduction, and renewable resources.
Here’s why Eco-friendly resorts and accommodations can be a profitable business idea in Turkey;
- In the travel industry, eco-travel is a fast-growing segment, and given Turkey’s pristine beaches, historical sites and mountains, it has become appealing to eco-conscious travellers.
- Turkey is known for its natural beauty, From its Mediterranean coastline to the Cappadocia region. Eco-friendly resorts can major in this by offering guests an opportunity to tour all these natural wonders with minimal environmental effects.
- Running an Eco-friendly resort can minimize operational expenses. This is because of water-saving technologies, energy-efficient systems and waste-reduction measures.
- The Turkish government favourably supports eco-friendly and sustainable practices. Of course, hotels and resorts or organizations that align with these goals may have access to incentives, grants or promotional support.
A local food and beverage tour is an organized experience that allows tourists to explore the local culinary scene of a particular location, in this case, Turkey.
The tour entails visiting local food establishments such as restaurants, food stalls, and markets to sample dishes and learn about the traditional cuisine of that area.
The main idea of this tour is to provide participants with an immersive and unique experience that points out the local cuisine’s flavours, ingredients and cultural aspects.
Here are some reasons why a Local food and beverage tour is a profitable business idea in Turkey;
- Being known for its rich culinary diversity, tourists are curious about this aspect of Turkey.
- Dishes in Turkey that have gained international attention, such as the flavorful kebabs of Gaziantep, the seafood of the Aegean coast, and the unique tastes of Turkish tea and baklava, are sure means of generating income as tourists are not going to miss them.
- It is also believed that the local food of a particular location provides a deeper cultural connection with that place as it helps the tourists learn about the history, tradition and stories behind the dishes.
Starting up a niche online store is a business idea that would thrive in Turkey. These stores are virtual; that is, they are online and specialize in selling products in a particular niche.
You could start a niche online store dealing in crafts (such as Turkish jewellery, mats, ceramics, pottery, etc.) or spices.
Here’s what makes a niche online store in Turkey profitable;
- Turkey is a country that attracts millions of tourists yearly, and most of these tourists will be on the lookout to purchase authentic pieces of Turkish tradition and souvenirs.
- One major that makes an online store stand out is its low operational cost. As is the case here, profit will abound when more money is coming in and very little going out.
- In this age, when an individual wants to get something, everybody resorts first to the internet before even taking a look around.
Online stores have access to a larger audience range than physical stores.
This business idea is a curated service that regularly delivers a variety of items from Turkey to subscribers, e.g., monthly. Think of it just like every other subscription you make to a channel as such that you always receive notifications regarding activity on that channel. But in this case, the subscription boxes are for Turkish products.
This business idea aims to give customers a convenient way of experiencing various authentic Turkish products. The products that the subscription boxes can provide range from food and beverages to handmade crafts, textiles, spices and other items representing Turkey’s cultural heritage.
Here are some reasons why starting subscription boxes for Turkish products is a business idea that is quite profitable in Turkey;
- Subscription boxes provide convenience for subscribers and allow them to own authentic pieces of Turkish traditions by simply subscribing to the service. Tourists jump at this idea because they need to learn their way around.
- One thing that resonates with customers is giving them a sense of novelty and surprise; this is exactly what subscription boxes do. What’s more, these boxes are delivered right to the doorsteps of their subscribers.
- Subscription boxes also provide a recurring revenue stream to their owners compared to traditional retailing.
Yet another profitable business idea in Turkey is an Online marketplace featuring local designers. I do not know about you, but I can only go to a new place with a different culture from mine and be willing to leave with a dress or two depicting the local tradition of the place.
Everything has gone digital, so my first call is to check it out online. An online fashion marketplace is an online space where local designers can showcase their designs or creations to a broader audience.
Here is how it works;
When local designers showcase their creations (for a little fee, of course), the audience can view these creations and place orders online. When orders are placed, the owners of the platform then get the design for the customer from the local designer for a fee.
This is yet another means of doing business in Turkey online. Dropshipping platforms connote a form of an online store that displays a variety of products and then, on demand, makes purchases for their customers from the earlier displayed products’ owners.
The owners of the dropshipping platform make their profit as the difference between the actual cost of the product and the amount the customers are told to pay to get it.
What makes dropshipping platforms stand out from other online business platforms?
- Dropshipping eliminates the need for the platform’s owner to hold physical inventory.
- It also requires minimal start-up capital as compared to other online business models.
- Unlike other traditional e-commerce platforms where you handle packing, shipping and tracking, the supplier takes care of all that in dropshipping, which saves you time and resources.
- Dropshipping platforms allow you the luxury to offer a wide range of products, seeing as physical inventory is not hindered. You can always edit the products in your store according to market trends.
They say food is the way to a man’s heart; we all need food to survive. The food business thrives regardless of location because food is necessary for life.
What should be considered is the quality and packaging of your meals. This will determine the profit you will likely make from your business.
Starting up an authentic Turkish restaurant is no doubt a business idea that will flourish, and you can spice up your restaurant by adding a modern twist to all that beauty.
Your restaurant will be the kind that combines the rich flavours of traditional Turkish cuisine with innovative and contemporary elements.
It would help if you had this to make your restaurant stand out and be profitable. These are the tweaks you need to put in place;
- Your restaurant must have a unique menu that features unique traditional Turkish cuisine with creative flavour combinations that reflect modern society.
- Source fresh and high-quality ingredients, including local produce, when possible.
- Create a modern and inviting ambience that blends Turkish tradition and modern design.
- In your restaurant, be sure to offer a selection of traditional Turkish beverages like ayran and sahlep but also include modern cocktails, mocktails and a carefully drafted wine list that balances with Turkish flavours.
This is another wonderful business idea to invest in Turkey. Specialty dessert shops focus on offering a specific range of unique, high-quality, and indulgent desserts.
Specialty dessert shops distinguish themselves by specializing in a particular dessert, ingredients or preparation method to provide their customers with a unique culinary experience.
Here are some examples of specialty dessert shops;
- Cupcake bakeries: They create various cupcakes with different flavours, frosting and decorations.
- Gourmet chocolate boutiques: They specialize in making high-quality artisanal chocolates, truffles, pralines and other chocolate-based confections. They are notable for using premium cocoa, exquisite packaging and creative flavour combinations.
- Ice cream parlours: Some other specialty dessert shops focus on making unique ice cream flavours of different kinds that go beyond the basic flavours.
These are just a few examples of specialty dessert shops that can fetch quite a handsome profit in Turkey.
Health and Wellness Business Ideas in Turkey
An organic skincare and cosmetic brand is quite a profitable business idea in Turkey, given the rise in the demand for natural and eco-friendly beauty products.
Turkey is a country that has a rich tradition of natural herbs, remedies and botanicals, making it an ideal location for an organic skincare and cosmetic brand.
Here is how to make your organic skincare and cosmetic brand business a success in Turkey;
- Always emphasize using locally sourced organic and natural ingredients in your skincare and cosmetic products.
- Customers today value eco-friendly practices, so opt for using biodegradable, recyclable, or reusable packaging.
- Establish a strong online presence, as this will help promote your sales to a wider audience range.
- Be sure to get recognized certifications for your operations to assure your customers of your originality.
This is yet another profitable business idea in Turkey. Fitness studios are specialized facilities that offer a variety of fitness and exercise classes in a well-structured and focused environment.
When you offer innovative and engaging workout experiences, it attracts a dedicated customer base and distinguishes you from the usual gyms that we have around.
Here are some tips on how to make this business idea profitable in Turkey;
- Customize workouts based on individual levels of fitness and goals.
- Employ skilled and competent trainers who are passionate and good at their work.
- Group fitness classes are popular in Turkey, so you must also offer a variety of group classes based on your unique concepts.
- Invest in durable, high-quality equipment that aligns with your studio’s goals.
- It would help if you also organized fitness challenges to keep your clients motivated and up to par.
Solar panels, installation and maintenance services involve installing solar panels on rooftops, ground-mounted systems or other suitable locations to access sunlight and turn it into electricity.
Solar panel installation is a business idea currently trending as the world seeks new means of generating electricity other than the traditional method.
This business idea has several stages, including design, installation and continuous maintenance to ensure the best performance and longevity of the solar power system.
Here is a breakdown of the services you would be providing in this business;
- The process begins with a consultation to understand the customer’s energy needs, budget, available space and other factors.
- The installation company obtains the necessary permits and approvals from the local authorities to make the installations.
- The company also physically installs the solar panels on the rooftops or in the preferred location.
- You will also be required to provide proper periodic maintenance for installed panels to function optimally.
This is also another business idea in the renewable energy sector. Wind turbine manufacturing and installation involves the design, production and setup of wind turbines, which combine the Kinetic energy from the wind with electrical energy.
This renewable energy technology has gained popularity worldwide as a clean and sustainable way to generate electricity; hence, it is lucrative.
Here are some of the reasons why this business idea will thrive in Turkey;
- Turkey is a country that has substantial wind energy potential. Particularly in regions along its coast and at elevated areas.
- The Turkish government has been actively promoting renewable energy, including wind power. So, this business idea will receive favourable government support and incentives.
- Turkey also, in recent times, has recorded a growing electricity demand, and diversifying the electricity mix is a good way of meeting this demand.
- Turkey is strategically located between Europe, Asia and the Middle East, making it a potential hub for exporting wind energy equipment to neighbouring countries.
This business idea involves converting organic materials from agricultural activities into usable energy, such as electricity, heat or biofuels.
Turkey has a booming agricultural sector, hence an increased demand for renewable energy and supportive policies for such ventures.
There are several reasons why Biomass energy production is a potentially profitable business idea in Turkey, but I will list a few of them below;
- Due to Turkey’s diverse agricultural sector, they generate a substantial amount of agricultural waste, and these materials can serve as a valuable biomass feedstock for energy production.
- Since the government supports renewable energy production, businesses like this will likely receive support and incentives from the Turkish government.
- Biomass energy production provides a way to reduce waste disposal costs for farmers and food processors.
Yet another profitable business idea is the Sustainable and energy-efficient housing project. This project involves designing, constructing and operating residential buildings to minimise their environmental impact and energy consumption, leading to long-term sustainability.
The whole idea of sustainable and energy-efficient housing is to provide accommodation facilities for the general populace that do not contribute to the degradation of the environment.
Here are some reasons why this business idea is profitable;
- Since this project promotes environmental sustainability, the government will support and recommend it.
- Due to the rising demand for energy-efficient housing in Turkey because of high energy costs, this business will surely thrive.
- Sustainable and energy-efficient housing projects set you apart from the rest of the world in the housing business.
Property management for vacation rentals is also a profitable business idea in Turkey. This business is one that most of us are already familiar with. It involves renting out properties short-term to travellers or people on vacation.
Turkey is a country that draws a large number of tourists each year due to its diverse attractions, cultural heritage and stunning landscapes. As Turkey’s vacation/rental industry continues to grow, Turkey’s popularity as a destination makes it an ideal option for property managers.
Listed below are some reasons why this business idea will be profitable in Turkey;
- Seeing that Turkey attracts millions of tourists every year, it already makes property rentals a worthy investment to be made.
- This rental business offers a wide variety of properties suitable for vacations for rent. Properties include apartments, villas, cottages and even unique historical homes.
- This rental business is such that it will run all through the year without a pause because tourists are always on the move.
Renovation and restoration of historical buildings is also one profitable business idea in Turkey. This involves preserving, revitalizing and maintaining structures that hold historical, cultural or architectural importance.
This is a rewarding endeavour that combines cultural preservation and financial gains. Here is how to make a profit from this business idea;
- You need first to identify historically significant buildings with potential demand for restoration.
- Get a good understanding of the appropriate permits and licensing you need to carry out renovations.
- Draft out a budget on the amount needed to renovate the building
- Be sure to maintain the historical integrity of the building while incorporating modern amenities.
- The next thing to do is search out the uses of such historical buildings in the modern market.
- Once everything is set up, put your advertising and publicity in place, collaborate with experts and be up to date with the market trend to remain in business.
Among Turkey’s many profitable business ideas are Urban planning and smart city consulting. Urban planning and smart city consulting are two fields that focus on the design, development and management of cities and urban areas.
As a businessman or businesswoman, here is how to make a profit from urban planning and smart city consulting in Turkey;
- Cities in Turkey aim to be more efficient and modernized, which has led to a growing demand for consulting services in urban planning and smart city development.
- While governments try to do their bit to advance their cities, they often seek expertise from external individuals. Winning government contracts is definitely quite profitable.
- Smart city initiatives also generate quite a large amount of data. Companies can monetize this data by selling the insights to government agencies, individuals or businesses.
This business idea involves creating mobile applications that cater to the needs of users seeking various local services within the country. These mobile apps can cover services ranging from food delivery and transportation to home services such as cleaning, plumbing and lots more.
The primary goal of local mobile applications is to connect users with local service providers efficiently and enhance the overall user experience.
Here are some ways profit can be made from the mobile app development business in Turkey;
- Transaction fees are charged on every successful booking done through the app.
- Offer subscription plans for enhanced features like increased visibility or priority listing on the app.
- Allow service providers to pay for advertisements of their businesses on the app.
- If the app includes delivery services, you can charge a delivery fee.
Agri-tech stands for Agricultural technology. As mentioned earlier, Turkey has a thriving agricultural sector, so this is one area to consider when discussing business ideas.
Agri-tech encompasses a range of options for conducting farming practices in a modern and more efficient manner. This is characterized by the use of modernized tools and equipment and increased output.
The major goal of Agri-tech is to make farming more efficient, sustainable and profitable. To make this business idea profitable in Turkey, here are some things to consider;
- Understand the specific needs of the Turkish farmers and tailor your services to address their challenges effectively.
- Collaborate with local universities and organizations to gain credibility and access to your target market.
- Make sure to adapt your solutions to their local preferences.
- Consider leasing out your equipment.
In the textile and fashion niche, making sustainable fashion brands with Turkish textiles is a profitable business idea that should be considered.
This business brand gives attention to utilizing textiles and materials sourced from Turkey while prioritizing environmentally friendly and socially responsible practices.
Here are some of the reasons why this business idea is projected to be a very profitable business in Turkey;
- There is an increased demand for products made from environmentally friendly practices.
- Turkey is one of the countries with a rich history of textile production.
- Engaging in sustainable practices sets your fashion brand apart from other brands.
- Sustainable fashion brands usually command higher prices due to the value attached to brands that engage in these practices.
- Turkey’s textile industry is well established, making reaching the international market easier for a sustainable fashion brand.
Making customized traditional clothing for international customers is another business idea in Turkey that should be considered. This business idea involves making tailor-made and culturally authentic clothing based on traditional styles from various cultures.
As previously stated, Turkey is a country that has a rich historical culture and skilled artisans. These features have led to a growing interest in authentic and personalized fashion brands from Turkey.
Here are some ways profit can be made from customized traditional clothing for international customers;
- Customizing traditional clothing allows you to tap into Turkey’s cultural diversity.
- Many skilled artisans and artisans who have mastered creating traditional clothing live in Turkey.
- International customers seek unique, culturally significant fashion items, which this brand should be able to provide.
- In this business, customers are given a choice to pay more and subscribe to a premium plan that is more personalized and offers more unique clothes.
Yet another lucrative business idea in Turkey is the textile, recycling and upcycling initiatives. This innovative business idea focuses on the sustainable and environmentally friendly transformation of discarded textiles into new products.
Given the growth of environmental trends towards sustainability and the increased awareness of environmental issues, this is a profitable business idea in Turkey.
Here are some ways to generate income from this venture;
- Optimize your textile recycling process to minimize costs and increase the amount of usable materials obtained from each batch.
- Offer discounts to manufacturers who purchase large quantities of recycled fibre.
- Make sure to produce premium products with added value
- Design unique upcycled products
- Offer services that allow customers to bring in their old textiles to be customized into new products.
In the textile and fashion niche, this is yet another profitable business idea in Turkey that investors should consider.
Selling leather goods and accessories crafted by local artisans is a business idea that involves collaborating with highly skilled local artisans, craftsmen, and women to make high-quality leather products.
Here are some reasons why this business idea will be profitable in Turkey;
- These leather goods are made by highly talented artisans, meaning that your products will largely be distinguished, giving you an edge in the market.
- The fact that Turkey has a rich cultural heritage is already an added advantage because you already have customers just by basing your business in Turkey.
- An extra fee will be charged for customized products when demanded by customers.
- By establishing an online presence, you reach a wider audience range.
- Extra cash can be gotten when workshops are organized to teach customers how to make some of these local craft works.
Seeing that Turkey has a good agricultural sector, going into specialty organic farming is a business idea that should be considered.
Specialty organic farming is an agricultural business idea that refers to a type of organic farming that focuses on cultivating and producing specific crops that meet a particular market’s needs or a unique customer’s demand.
Here are some reasons why specialty organic farming will be profitable in Turkey;
- Identify some specialty crops in high demand in the Turkish or international market.
- Get the certification that permits you to operate as a legal body in the market
- Also, consider processing your organic crops into value-added products like jams, oils, teas and sauces.
- Make sure to sell your products directly to the consumers through the farmer’s market.
Agro-tourism experiences on working farms is another business idea that will bring in profit. It is also known as agritourism; it is a type of tourism involving visitors experiencing agricultural activities and rural life working on a farm.
Some individuals are interested in learning about farming practices and want practical experience in rural farming; this business is what they are looking for.
Here are some ways of generating income from Agro tourism experiences on working farms;
- Charge visitors a fee for guided farm tours.
- For a fee, Offer workshops on animal husbandry, organic farming, and traditional cooking methods.
- Provide on-site paid accommodation such as cottages, glamping tents and guest rooms.
- Create a restaurant or a dining area where visitors can eat food directly harvested from the farm.
- Come up with all-inclusive paid packages that will encourage visitors to stay longer.
- Sell farm-related products such as locally produced honey, dairy products and handicrafts as souvenirs.
In the agricultural sector, this is another big-time business idea. Food processing and packaging for export is a business idea that refers to the practice of taking raw agricultural or food products, processing them into value-added products and then packaging them for sale in a way that meets the requirements of the international market.
With its rich agricultural resources, diverse cuisine, and strategic location between Europe and Asia, Turkey is a very good location where a business like this will thrive.
Here are some key points to consider to be able to make a profit from this business venture;
- Process agricultural produce into improved value-added products with improved shell life, unique flavours and convenience. Such products command higher prices.
- Learn to source raw materials locally to minimize costs.
- As your business grows, you begin to enjoy economies of scale.
- Invest in branding and attractive packaging, making your products stand out.
- Implement streamlined and efficient means of processing food production to optimize production.
Online language learning platforms for Turkish is another interesting and potentially profitable business idea in Turkey. This business idea is about creating an online platform where clients can be taught how to speak and understand Turkish.
There are already some established online platforms where people are taught to understand and speak Turkish. Some include Duolingo, Rosetta Stone, Babbel, Memrise, Busuu.
Here are some tips on how to make a profit from your online language-learning platforms;
- Offer a variety of subscription plans to your audiences at different rates
- Also, allow users to purchase individual courses separately
- Create premium content that covers specialized topics
- Offer limited-time trials for your premium subscription plans.
- Create a membership community where members can pay monthly.
- Offer one-to-one personalized tutoring sessions at increased rates.
Running vocational training centres for in-demand skills is also profitable in Turkey. These training centres are educational institutions offering specialized training in specific skills currently in high demand within various industries.
In these vocational centres, individuals are taught various skills currently the most demanded in the market. It is opening a centre designed to equip individuals with practical skills to prepare them for the workforce.
Here are some tips on how to monetize your vocational training centre;
- Charging tuition fees for enrolment.
- Establish partnerships with companies to provide training for their employees at a subsidized rate.
- Apply for government grants and funding.
- Ensure your centre provides certification for skills and knowledge; this can be monetized.
- Also, charge employers a fee for connecting them to your good students at the centre.
Currently, the industries leading in Turkey include;
- Automotive industry
- Textile and Apparel industry
- Tourism Industry
- Construction and Real Estate Industry
- Agriculture and Food Processing Industry
- Energy Industry
- Information and software industry
The best city to start your business depends on the particular business line you will be going into. On a general note, the best cities to start a business in Turkey are;
You have been armed with several profitable business ideas to go into Turkey. However, it depends on you now to analyze them and pick the ones that resonate best with you based on your niche and your available level of capital.
Of course, foreigners are permitted to start a business in Turkey. They can start a private limited company with two or three other foreigners in Turkey. Turkey is quite an accommodating country, so all you need is your business plans in place, a good commitment to your work and efficient staffing, and you will see your business thriving and being productive.
The answer to the question about what is in demand in Turkey is that skills and industry demand are often dynamic. Skills or products go into high demand based on market trends. So, if you are going to start a business, do the necessary research when you are ready to know exactly what is in demand in Turkey at the time.
The Turkish government will provide support and funding (if necessary) if your business aligns with its goals and if proper application is made. Although the Turkish government is not obligated to support your business, such support is quite obtainable given some conditions.
Image Credits: All images on this website are sources from Getty Images, Pexels and Unsplash.